Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tribal Canoe Journey Coming To La Conner, Washington!

I finished up six colorful lampwork bracelets and two pendants and will likely post them tonight. I'll also have four more Galaxy Bead sets from Scott as well. I tried to do a blog post last night and I couldn't access Blogger. Seems to be ok now. Must have been the universe's way of telling me to be done for the day.
Today I wanted to share something that is coming up in our special little town of La Conner, Washington. The Tribal Canoe Journey is landing in La Conner this year and it is quite a big deal. One side of the channel in La Conner is the downtown and schools, many homes, etc. and the other side is the Swinomish Indian Reservation - which is where we live. This is a wonderful community and I am proud and happy to live here. The Rainbow Bridge makes it easy to get from side to side.

Anyway, right across the channel from our studio is where the landing will take place. We have been watching the construction of the landing site and you'll see from the photos below that they are going all out. They have created three shelters in the form of the cedar hats that were commonly worn by the native tribes of this area. You can see these hats if you watch one of the videos I have linked to below. Thousands and thousands of people will come from all over to attend this event. I can't imagine how traffic is going to be and how the town will do handling the crowds. I'm sure it will be great, but what an event!! The photos below show it from each side of the channel. In the first photo, you can see a light green building on the far right. We are on the street side of that building. This event is at the end of July. I keep thinking they are going to put grass in, but who knows at this point. I'm sure it will all come together. You should come to La Conner. We have so many great galleries, museums, and restaurants. Here is a link to the Chamber of Commerce. Hope to see you!
Paddle To Swinomish Website
Tribal Canoe Journey Video Clip from past event
The Canoe Way - video clip


No comments: